Thiago Santos, Corporate Strategy Director at Unimar Shipping Agency in Brazil, is the winner of the 2023 Award. Mr. Santos entered a paper entitled: “ESG in the Shipping Industry: Impacts and Opportunities for Ship Agents”. He is the third winner of the award from Brazil, following the inaugural winner, Mr. Renan Queiroz, in 2015 and 2022 winner Nicolas de Souza.
Further details can be found here.
Registration and hotel bookings are now open for the FONASBA 2023 Annual Meeting in Amman, Jordan from 16th to 18th October 2023, hosted by the Jordan Shipping Association. Details of the event, together with links for registration and hotel accommodation bookings, can be found on the dedicated page here:
The first edition of FONASBA’s redesigned Newsletter, issue no 57, was distributed to Members on 22nd May. This edition covered the following topics:
- A welcome from President Javier E. Dulce
- A report on the Executive Committee Meeting held in London in March and
- The nomination of Marcelo Neri of Brazil as RVP Designate for the Americas
- The signing of a Memorandum of Understanding with the Worldwide Shipping Agencies Association (WWSA)
- An update on progress in implementing the FONASBA Communications Plan, of which the Newsletter is a key element
- Update on the 2023 Annual Meeting in Jordan and the awarding of the 2024 and 2025 Annual Meetings to Greece and Turkey respectively
- Information on the ECASBA European Seminar in Brussels in June
- Reports on the FQS and education programmes
- An update on recent maritime policy developments in Europe
- Member Association News from:
- Great Britain
- And links to the new FONASBA Spokesperson videos, featuring President Javier Dulce, and Regional Vice Presidents Antonio Belmar da Costa (Europe) and Takazo Iigaki (Asia).
Further to our earlier posting of the letter to UN Secretary General His Excellency António Guterres below, the International Chamber of Shipping has now circulated his reply to ICS President Emanuele Grimaldi on behalf of the other co-signatories to the letter.
The letter can be downloaded here.
FONASBA has today joined with over 30 other international maritime organisations and shipowner associations in sending a joint letter to the Secretary General of the United Nations, His Excellency António Guterres, calling on the UN to intervene in efforts to evacuate more than 300 seafarers still trapped on vessels in the Black Sea and Sea of Azov. Many of those seafarers have been trapped since the beginning of the conflict and the Secretary General has been asked to his influence, and that of the UN, to press for their release.
The joint letter was coordinated by the International Chamber of Shipping and is supported by FONASBA Club members BIMCO, INTERCARGO and INTERTANKO, amongst others. The letter can be downloaded here.
FONASBA and ACB have opened registrations for the 12th Liner Shipping Transportation course which runs from 30th March to 25th June. Full details can be found here.
2022 closed with issue 56 of the New Horizon which reported on the following:
- The appointment to the Executive Committee of Niklas Soltow of Germany as Vice Chair of the Ship Agent Committee and Julio Carrasco of Spain as a Co-opted member
- The first meeting of the Executive Committee at the new FONASBA Secretariat and the virtual Council Meeting held to attend to the Federation’s financial affairs
- The launch of the FONASBA Executive Committee Action Plan
- The 2022 ECASBA European seminar held in Athens and co-hosted by the International Maritime Union
- An announcement of the winner of the 2022 FONASBA Young Ship Agent or Ship Broker of the Year Award, Nicolas Henrique Marques Esperança de Souza, of Brazil
- An update on European maritime policy
- Reports from member associations on their local and regional initiatives over the past year
Issue 55 of the Newsletter was issued in August 2022. Another detailed issue covered:
- The Antwerp Annual Meeting
- The election of a new President and Executive Committee
- Publication of FONASBA’s Infectious Diseases Protocols
- The appointment of the Standing Committee Vice Chairs and the members of the ECASBA Advisory Panel
- An update on the FONASBA Quality Standards and the references to it in the UN/CEFACT Recommendation 45, Minimum Standards for Ship Agents and Ship Brokers and the soon to be released GENCON 2022 charterparty
- The launch of two new education courses, one for agents in the tramp sector in conjunction with the Barcelona Ship Agents Association and the second for new entrants to the ship broking profession hosted by the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers
- The regular update on European maritime policy developments
- Picture pages covering the Antwerp Annual Meeting and the election of the new President, Javier Dulce of Argentina
The 54th issue of the FONASBA Newsletter was issued in December 2021 and covered a wide range of news, updates and new initiatives including:
- A further postponement of the 2021 Annual Meeting due to ongoing concerns about COVID-19
- Publication of the UN/CEFACT Recommendation 45, Minimum Standards for Ship Agents and Ship Brokers, a project led by FONASBA
- The start of work on FONASBA’s Infectious Diseases Protocols, designed to protect ship agency staff when visiting ships under infectious disease outbreaks
- Announcement of the winner of the 2021 Young Ship Agent or Ship Broker of the Year Award, Ana Garcia de los Rios of Spain
- The launch of a new FONASBA/ACB Liner Shipping Transportation course
- The issuing of FONASBA’s Sustainable Development Declaration
- Relocation of the FONASBA Secretariat
- A report on the actions of ship agents in supporting seafarer vaccination centres
- An update on developments in European Union maritime policy
FONASBA is pleased to announce that Nicolas Henriques, a ship agent with Wilhelmsens in Santos Brazil, is the winner of the 2022 Young Ship Agent or Broker award. The press release issued today and a copy of Nicolas’ paper can be found can be found below.
As always, FONASBA is grateful to BIMCO and ITIC for their continued support for the Award.
PRESS RELEASE – YOUNG AGENT AWARD WINNER 2022
Nicolas Henriques: “A Technical Analaysis of the Key Element Behind Ship Operations: Husbandry Services, Under the Remote Centralisation Scope”